Serves: 6-8 players, 12-16 spectators!
½ cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons to sauté seafood
1 cup chorizo sausage
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into 6 to 8 pieces
3 cups Valencia rice
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup red wine
1 can mussels
2 teaspoons salt
1-pound medium raw shrimp peeled and de-veined
1 cup frozen green peas
¼ cup minced parsley leaves
1 red bell pepper, sliced for garnish
1 cup steamed mussels in their shells, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Sauté the chorizo sausage. Remove from pan and reserve.
3. Add onions, red pepper, and garlic to pan and sauté until wilted but not overcooked.
4. Add chicken pieces and sauté for about 15 minutes until brown, but not fully cooked. Remove and reserve.
5. In a large pot combine the rice, broth, wine, and mussels.
6. Add salt for flavor and Bijol for color. Stir.
7. Turn up heat, bring to boil and cover. Add chicken and chorizo.
8. Cover and simmer on the stove for 20 to 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked and fluffy. (You may have to add a little more chicken broth if the mixture gets too dry).
9. Sauté shrimp, mussels, separately in the oil. Remove and keep covered and warm. *This will keep it from drying out.
10. At the last minute, fold the seafood into the rice mixture.
11. Transfer to a flat paella pan suitable for serving.
12. Top with peas and red peppers.
13. Place in oven for about 5 minutes to heat through.
14. Serve garnished with mussels and parsley.