4 ripe plum tomatoes
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
½ baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
1 Tbls. olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1.Prepare the tomatoes first. Parboil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain.
2. Using a sharp small knife, remove the skins of the tomatoes. (If the tomatoes are too hot, you can protect your fingertips by rubbing them with an ice cube between tomatoes.)
3. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area.
4. Turn on the oven to 450°F to preheat.
5. While the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Slice the baguette on a diagonal about ½ inch-thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush.
8. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven.
9. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
10.Rub some garlic in the slices and drizzle half a teaspoon of olive oil on each slice.
Top with tomato mixture just before serving.